Sunshine Coast Council, SunCentral Maroochydore and Walker Corporation development agreement
In November 2020 Sunshine Coast Council, SunCentral Maroochydore Pty Ltd and one of Australia’s leading and largest private property groups, Walker Corporation, have entered into a development agreement that will drive the Maroochydore city centre project forward.
The agreement will see up to $2.5 billion of private sector investment flow into the project.
Walker Corporation is a highly experienced, Australian-owned commercial developer and building owner, with extensive expertise in urban regeneration and the development of quality commercial, retail and residential precincts.
The Maroochydore City Centre will be instrumental in building and strengthening the region, providing a mix of residential, commercial, retail, civic and community uses in order to develop a thriving and vibrant business district and city centre, complementing and enhancing Maroochydore's existing business offering.
Under the development agreement, Walker Corporation has exclusive rights to market and develop most of the remaining land consistent with the delivery of the city centre vision. As the project is delivered, council will receive civic assets such as parks, walkways and The Corso, which relieves council of the obligation to fund and deliver this infrastructure.
Walker Corporation’s investment in the 53-hectare Priority Development Area has commenced, with the project expected to create more than 15,000 jobs over the life of the project. Visit the Walker Corporation project website.
More information can be viewed in the SunCentral Maroochydore and Walker Corporation development agreement fact sheet.
About Maroochydore City Centre Development Area (PDA)
The Maroochydore City Centre in the heart of the Sunshine Coast is the ideal location for companies seeking CBD offices in one of Australia's fastest growing regions.
Declared a Priority Development Area by the Queensland Government, the Maroochydore City Centre is expected to service a wider catchment of over two million people by 2030.
The new city centre will have state-of-the art technology providing digital solutions for street lighting, car parking, water, power and signage, and will be serviced by Australia’s first underground vacuum system for automated waste collection.
From 2020 it also offers Australia’s fastest international data connection to Asia from the east coast via the new international broadband submarine cable connecting directly to the Maroochydore City Centre. Whether you are a developer, business or residential user, the Developer Broadband Fact Sheet and Business Resident Broadband Fact Sheet outline your connectivity options in the Maroochydore City Centre. Regardless of your needs you will be able to select from a range of service options.
The new Maroochydore City Centre will create an energetic commercial and city lifestyle with night life, event venues, al fresco dining, boulevard shopping, urban recreation, community facilities and water’s edge experiences.
Maroochydore City Centre will be serviced by frequent and reliable public transport, with a transit plaza providing direct access to business, retail, dining and residential precincts.
This unparalleled development represents a region coming of age, attracting a new wave of residents, businesses and skilled workers who enjoy having first class facilities on their doorstep.
Located just one hour from the Queensland capital, 10 minutes from Sunshine Coast International Airport and five minutes from world-class beaches, Maroochydore City Centre will feature:
- prime commercial office space
- high speed broadband internet
- exclusive retail
- fine dining
- entertainment facilities
- new waterways
- interconnected open space
- recreational spaces
- a premium hotel
- an entertainment, convention and exhibition centre.
The development scheme for the Maroochydore City Centre offers business and investors:
- 150,000m2 commercial gross floor area
- 65,000m2 retail gross floor area
- 4,000 residential apartments.
- 53-hectare site planned for development over 20 years
- 40% of the site to be parks and waterways
- Development scheme approved and in place
- Streamlined development assessment process and no third party appeals for development, consistent with the Maroochydore Priority Development Area Development Scheme.
- Significant development progress has been made in the Core Business Precinct (Precinct 3) including:
- Access roads, footpaths, kerbing, landscaping and smart city infrastructure
- The Urban Square
- Fibre optic cables, Wi-Fi hardware and parking sensors
- Automated Waste Collection System (AWCS) pipework has been installed
- Key roads within the precinct were officially opened to the public at a People's Day event on 10 August 2019.
- Council has commenced building its new nine-level city hall building in this precinct and will occupy the premises, offering 9,400m2 of gross floor area by July 2022. This represents an immediate commitment by a major tenant, with up to 600 council staff expected to occupy the building.
- Construction is complete on an eight-storey commercial building consisting of 4500m2 of office space with a project value of A$30 million. This building is owned by Evans Long.
- Construction has commenced on a residential development of 152 apartments (project value A$83 million) by Brisbane-based Habitat Development Group.
- In July 2019, developer Pro-invest announced it proposed to construct a nine-storey, 167 room Holiday Inn Express international hotel in the new city centre – making it the first new hotel in three decades on the Sunshine Coast. Construction is anticipated to commence early 2021.
- The Maroochydore City Centre PDA Development Scheme will also include community facilities and an entertainment precinct (Precinct 2) where a planned premium hotel with adjacent convention and exhibition facilities will be located.
Contact for investment enquiries
Head of Trade and Investment
Phone: +61 407 753 645
To stay updated on the latest Trade and Investment stories, opportunities and more, sign up to our newsletter.