- Last updated:
- 26 Jun 2019
Sunshine Coast Airport expansion
Council’s Airport Expansion Project is progressing well and remains on target for completion by the end of 2020 to deliver new infrastructure and facilities enabling enhanced domestic and international flight access to the region. This will also facilitate new freight capabilities and more direct access to global markets.
Sunshine Coast Airport welcomed over 1.2 million passengers in 2018, with a compound annual growth rate of 4% over the past nine years. The airport is one of the fastest-growing airports in Australia and is ranked as the nation’s 14th busiest airport for passenger movements for the year ended January 2019.
A preliminary Draft Airport Master Plan 2040 is currently being developed which will set out how the airport will be developed and operate over the next 20 years to accommodate the future needs of the airport and the Sunshine Coast community. This includes a land use plan, proposing five precincts for both aviation and ancillary development, including terminal expansion, improved ground transport access and economic development.
- New runway 2,450 metres long and 45 metres wide.
- $4.1 billion contribution to Gross Regional Product (2020-2040).
- Potential to reach new destinations at home and abroad.
- 120 hectares of land will be rehabilitated to offset ecological impacts.
- 2,230 new full-time direct and indirect jobs by 2040.
- Potential to attract up to 2 million passengers to the Sunshine Coast annually.
The first stage of the new runway and most of the new aprons and taxiways are scheduled to open in May 2020. The remaining taxiways, aprons, and associated works will be completed by December 2020.
Contact for investment enquiries
Director, Economic Development and Major Projects
Sunshine Coast Council
Phone: +617 5441 8212
Located at Sunshine Coast Airport, the Aerospace Precinct provides prime airside and landside development opportunities for smart and innovative aviation-related businesses. Over 35,000 square metres of airside and landside sites are available, with flexibility in block size.
Designed to meet the needs of progressive and globally focused aviation companies, the precinct offers:
- airside sites totalling 22,000 square metres of hangar space.
- landside sites totalling 13,500 square metres.
- world-class, fully-serviced aviation facilities with Code C apron.
- flexible block sizes dependent on the needs of the business.
Simple, efficient approval processes for investors
Sunshine Coast Council’s planning scheme ensures a simple, efficient development approval process for aviation and aerospace ventures at Sunshine Coast Airport. Aviation and aerospace developments do not require public notification and there are no third party appeal provisions, allowing the assessment of proposed developments to occur within 90 days. Development controls are implemented with the end user in mind, providing a high degree of flexibility for prospective investors.
- Flexible airside sites are available for maintenance and repair organisations, hangarage or other aviation support industries.
- Landside sites are available for development for aviation training or other aviation support industries.
- Sites are now available for long-term lease.