- Last updated:
- 12 Dec 2017
The Sunshine Coast is home to a number of innovative, knowledge-based businesses and is regarded as a national hub for entrepreneurs. The region is rapidly growing a reputation for digital innovation, including being recognised with awards from Google and PayPal, and has been branded one of the world’s Smart 21 Communities of 2014, 2015 and 2017.
The industry currently provides approximately 21,400 jobs on the Sunshine Coast, with employment growth in managerial and professional services expected to exceed 135% over the next 20 years.
The region is already home to a wide range of businesses which can be considered leaders in their field. Youi, one of the fastest growing general insurance companies in Australia, is basing its global headquarters on the Sunshine Coast. The region also hosts one of Stellar Asia Pacific’s fastest growing service centres, which currently employs more than 480 staff.
The industry is also well supported by a strong entrepreneurial, collaborative and increasingly digitally oriented ecosystem. The Innovation Centre Sunshine Coast acts as a catalyst for start-up and high-growth businesses wanting to reach their full commercial potential. There is also substantial investment in co-working centres and business accelerators to drive the growth in new businesses and the professional and knowledge industry across the region.
Key knowledge industry and professional services enterprises on the Sunshine Coast include:
Why establish a professional business on the Sunshine Coast?
- Commercial office accommodation rental costs are up to 40% lower than Brisbane, 62% lower than Sydney and 42% lower than Melbourne.
- High speed broadband is available and many areas have already been connected to the National Broadband Network.
- The region has a highly educated workforce with 57.4% of the local labour force currently holding a post-school qualification – a higher percentage than the Queensland average of 56%.
- The region has lower workforce costs (i.e. average weekly wages and employee insurance rates) than New South Wales and Victoria, the lowest basic flat payroll tax rate of any Australian state or territory, and total taxation in 2016-17 estimated at A$866 less per person than the average of any state or territory.
- The Sunshine Coast is home to an award-winning business incubator, the Innovation Centre, co-located with the University of the Sunshine Coast.
To find out more about the industry, please download the Knowledge and Professional Services brochure.
To view the strategic direction for each of the seven High-Value Industries, please visit the Industry Investment Plans.
The Sunshine Coast has provided Youi with a skilled and motivated workforce that has assisted us greatly in achieving our business objectives.
Danie Matthee | CEO, Youi
Sunshine Coast is an ideal location for organisations requiring well-educated and motivated employees. The ease of travel, great lifestyle, affordable cost of living and excellent infrastructure, combined with proximity to Brisbane tick all the boxes for Stellar.
Melissa Hamilton | CEO, Stellar Asia Pacific