- Last updated:
- 12 Dec 2017
With the expansion of the Sunshine Coast Airport and the development of a new Aerospace Precinct, the region provides exciting and diverse opportunities in the Australasian aviation market.
Sunshine Coast airport is already home to a wide range of aviation-related businesses in the fields of:
- licensed maintenance, engineering and overhaul facilities
- pilot training and education institutes
- charter flights
- ground handling services
- freight operators
- aircraft sales
- emergency services.
Located at Sunshine Coast Airport, the Sunshine Coast Aerospace Precinct provides prime airside and landside development opportunities for smart and innovative aviation-related businesses.
In addition, the Caloundra Aerodrome is a key complementary aviation asset and supports general aviation activity with around 40,000 movements of aircraft and helicopters each year - primarily catering for the needs of light aircraft operations on the Sunshine Coast.
The aerodrome is a vital cog in South East Queensland’s general aviation network and offers the potential to play an important role in the industry’s development in the region.
Key aviation and aerospace industry participants on the Sunshine Coast include:
Why invest in aviation and aerospace on the Sunshine Coast?
- Sunshine Coast Airport currently welcomes almost one million passengers annually with flights to Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland and beyond and is just over one hour’s drive north of Queensland’s capital city, Brisbane.
- The Sunshine Coast Airport and the Caloundra Aerodrome already host a capable and established cluster of leading-edge aviation and aerospace companies which support a highly skilled workforce.
- Sunshine Coast Aerospace Precinct provides airside sites totalling 22,000m2 of hangar space (suitable for up to B737 or A320 aircraft) and landside sites totalling 13,500m2 that are now available for long-term lease.
- Additional prime airside and landside sites are planned for future industry expansion and development.
- The airport has world-class fully serviced aviation facilities with Code C apron.
To find out more about the industry, please download the Aviation and Aerospace brochure.
To view the strategic direction for each of the seven High-Value Industries, please visit the Industry Investment Plans.
As HeliMods grew, I saw the opportunity to create a unique global business in an idyllic coastal locations.
Will Shrapnel | CEO, HeliMods
The Airport Expansion Project and Sunshine Coast Aerospace Precinct (SCAP) provide a unique platform for industry and a framework for investment through to 2020 and beyond. The proposed runway, associated infrastructure and development opportunities will provide new industry opportunities and deliver a gateway to the global economy. SCAP already embodies this vision providing prime serviced airside and landside sites with a variety of flexible and sustainable infrastructure options designed to meet the needs of progressive and globally focussed companies.
Peter Pallot | General Manager, Sunshine Coast Airport